Funny how times change. The Powell Doctrine as presented in 1992
shows we can unlearn how to do things. I've listed its tenets below:
- Is a vital national security interest threatened?
- Do we have a clear attainable objective?
- Have the risks and costs been fully and frankly analyzed?
- Have all other non-violent policy means been fully exhausted?
- Is there a plausible exit strategy to avoid endless entanglement?
- Have the consequences of our action been fully considered?
- Is the action supported by the American people?
- Do we have genuine broad international support?
I can only poorly imagine the hell that Powell has been living....